2020년 7월 5일
1.1 The Mavens
보안이 매우 취약한 사이트 중 하나. 그러나 공부하는 데 지장은 없기 때문에 그냥 사용하고 있다. 오늘 공부한 부분은 Chapter 11 이고 제목은 Take it easy! 이다.
- Kelly : Hi, Paul. Long time no see. I thought I saw you walk in earlier.
- Paul : Oh, did you? It's been ages! How've you been doing?
- Kelly : Never been better. Are you doing some holiday shopping?
- Paul : You could say that. I'm treating myself by getting a therapeutic chair.
- Kelly : That seems like a convenient way to get some extra R&R.
- Paul : Actually, I wanted to buy one for my bad back and for the occasional "power nap".
- Kelly : I think you deserve one. After all, you own the company for heaven's sake.
- Paul : When you get to be my age, keeping up good health comes before everything.
- I got up at 6 to take the English class this morning.
- All the lights of my apartment building went out last night.
- Greg cracked us up so much we were at the point of crying.
- crack someone up ~를 몹시 웃기다
- Michael found out he barked up the wrong tree.
1.1.3 Key Phrases
188.8.131.52 That seems like... way to...
- That seems like an easy way to work out at home.
- That seems like an efficient way to manage the systems.
184.108.40.206 I've wanted to...
- I've always wanted to visit Paris someday.
- I've wanted to buy a small, light-weight notebook computer.
220.127.116.11 to come before everything.
- My family comes before everything else.
- Safety comes before everything in construction.
1.1.4 Smart Vocabulary
- anxiety disorder
- to be fired = sacked = laid off
1.1.5 Writing Task
Think about the atmosphere at your workplace. Then, write a brief memo to your colleagues on improvements that have been made or improvements that need to be made to help reduce job stress. Write specific details.
The overall atmosphere at my workplace seems to be quite acceptable. Most people do their best to respect other colleagues. Unlike other companies, we normally don't work late. Moreover, as my company is owned by the government, we don't feel pressure about making a profit. However, there's still room for improvement. Here's my memo: 1. Remote Work Environment We should embrace the latest working trend like working from home. Every single employee doesn't feel pressure when they want to work from home. 2. Peer-To-Peer Evaluation Not only colleagues but also team directors should be evaluated. Although a team director evaluates his/her team members, the team members have little right to evaluate their team directors. It's just showing off. 3. Measurement The late Peter Drucker said, “if you can’t measure it, you can’t improve it.” I think every work should be assigned and measured to calculate how much each team member contributes to the company. There are always spats about promotion because my company doesn't measure how much an employee contributes to the company.